Skip to main content

Enforcement of Judgment using Writ of Garnishment

Dallas, TX |

I have been awarded a judgment against a debtor and I've read a 'Writ of Garnishment' is the best way to seize available funds in their bank. I know they live in Dallas so I do I contact the national headquarters of, Wells Fargo in San Francisco for example, or must I know the exact local branch where the account is held and have the Writ served there? Also, is it true that a person's salary is exempt from garnishment? Thanks in advance.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. You need an account number, then I always serve at their agent for service of process. Should be listed with Secretary of State.

  2. I agree with the other attorney concerning service. Regarding salary, Texas does not allow wage garnishments for most judgment creditors. There are some limited exceptions, such as IRS, government liens, etc.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics