Enforcement of Judgment using Writ of Garnishment

Dallas, TX |

I have been awarded a judgment against a debtor and I've read a 'Writ of Garnishment' is the best way to seize available funds in their bank. I know they live in Dallas so I do I contact the national headquarters of, Wells Fargo in San Francisco for example, or must I know the exact local branch where the account is held and have the Writ served there? Also, is it true that a person's salary is exempt from garnishment? Thanks in advance.

You need an account number, then I always serve at their agent for service of process. Should be listed with Secretary of State.

Thanks Michael, I have a few account numbers but I'm concerned if they are old they become useless. I have moved from state to state, used the same bank but they asked me to open a new acc at the local branch. I do however have his Social Security Number, date of birth and previous 3 addresses, would someone like Wells Fargo's agent for service accept this information?

Michael Glynn Busby Jr.

Michael Glynn Busby Jr.

I doubt it. All the banks I have dealt with need an account number. If the judgment is not from Texas, you would be required to file it or domesticate it in Texas before you would be authorized to collect

I agree with the other attorney concerning service. Regarding salary, Texas does not allow wage garnishments for most judgment creditors. There are some limited exceptions, such as IRS, government liens, etc.