End of divorce; how can I get attorney cooperation?

Asked over 2 years ago - Colorado Springs, CO

I am hopefully near the end of a long legal battle to end a very abusive marriage.

However, there are some things I still need my attorney to help me do - tie up some loose ends - because I hope to have no contact with my ex after the divorce. I know he will manipulate all he can to draw me back into conflict - because the divorce is due to many years of his horrible abuse and control (which I am trying to heal from now).

My attorney has now become hostile. I have done my best to cooperate, even through a good many frustrations. My main attorney always assigns me to female assistants which are horrible to deal with. He once promised me he would handle my case himself, but of course he did not.

I still retain this attorney and how can I gain their cooperation here at the end?

Additional information

I should add here too I have a "no contact" order on my soon to be ex that my attorney helped me get. My attorney just told me to go get my ex to sign papers himself! (with the no contact order!!) I think this is really bad legal advice!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. James C Underhill Jr.

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It occurs to me that there should be some reason you are receiving this kind of poor service. Do you owe the attorney money? Have you been the kind of client who calls almost daily with complaints and comments?

    If you are not that kind of client, and you do not owe the attorney any money, then the treatment is without excuse. It may be easier to get another attorney to tie up the ends than deal with the assistants. Sometimes attorneys are "big picture" and once the trial is over, they become impatient with the "little stuff." Stephen's advice is good. Write down what you want taken care of, ask what it will cost to handle, and ask for them to provide you with a date by which they can do the work. If you don't like the answers, go elsewhere.

    AND by all means, do not violate the restraining order!

    Like many attorneys we will sit down and review your situation with you without charge.

    Your best bet is to find a good lawyer who provides advice on this kind of issue on a regular basis and review your specific facts; the lawyer will be able to give you an analysis of the law and your options.

    By the way, some attorneys sell "unbundled" or "limited" legal services where you pay for just what you need and can afford. For example, some attorneys will prepare letters for you to sign, legal documents, or sell the paperwork for the court filings; then you can proceed on your own, but knowing that your paperwork is correct and having a road map as to how to proceed. Or who will attend a hearing for a flat fee even if they are not handling the whole case. Neighborhood Law Office is such a firm.

    At Neighborhood Law Office we never charge for an initial consultation, and at that meeting we can go through your specific facts and give you options. Please call us anytime for an appointment.

    Thanks, Jim

    Jim Underhill
    Neighborhood Law Office
    7225 E. Hampden Ave.
    Denver, CO 80224
    303-302-1001 fax

    This answer is based upon a partial understanding of the facts and may not be relied upon as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship between the writer and the attorney. It is provided for general information. You should always consult an attorney about your important legal rights.

    P.S. I will never figure out out-of-state attorneys who write useless answers just for the points regarding questions in states where they are not licensed.

    NOTICE— This answer is based upon a partial understanding of the facts and may not be relied upon as legal... more
  2. Stephen Clark Harkess

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question boils down to "how can I get a person to act differently than they have been acting"... This is a very difficult quesiton to answer. Just as no one (including your attorney) could make your ex act in a more hospitable way, there is no advice that can be given on how to make your attorney become more thoughtful, responsible or have a better "bedside manner".

    If you wanted to outline what some of the specific loose ends were that you are interested in addressing, you may get advice on what would need to be done to accomplish your ends and if you cannot convince the law firm you are working with to handle the matter you can always hire someone else.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,098 answers this week

2,913 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,098 answers this week

2,913 attorneys answering