Employment law case- attorney takes on contigency what's not included? I know court costs, deposition fees, what else?

Hoffman Estates, IL |

How much does that cost total? Sometimes expert witness testimony as well. But I heard 90 percent of all employment discrimination cases settle before trial. Is that true? If so, I would not have to worry about court costs? This is for an ADA discrimination case.

In my experience expert witness fees are by far the biggest cost. After that are deposition transcripts/court reporter and then filing fees. Travel can also be significant if needed. If the matter goes to trial, exhibits can be costly as well.

You should ask your lawyer about this before signing the contract. Please note that my experience is in injury law, employment might be a little different.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

Your attorney would be a much better source to answer this question, since he or she would know what is required in your case. For example, are there going to be dozens of witnesses deposed or just one? Court costs are probably the least expensive item on your list, so I would not suggest worrying about it. This should all be contained in your agreement with your attorney, and if you have any questions about what is and is not included, or what the estimate of those fees might be, your attorney is the one to ask.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.