Employment law: I was placed on sick leave by my doctor. The employer/hr said to mark FMLA. I was terminated a week later.

Las Vegas, NV |

I thought FMLA was for a 12 week period and that the job was protected.

1. Whether you have a claim depends on a variety of factors, including the employer's reason for terminating you. If you absences were protected by the FMLA and your employer terminated you because of those absences, then you would have a viable claim. However, your employer may have terminated you for some other lawful reason, e.g., reduction in force due to lack of work. You may want to consult in person with an employment lawyer to get a careful evaluation of your situation. Good luck.

My answers to questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information only, and are not intended to be legal advice. Employment law issues typically require a careful case-by-case analysis. Consequently, if you feel that you need legal advice, I would encourage you to consult in person with an employment attorney in your area.