Employment Contract

I have a 1 year contract with my employer and they used the word "Shall Pay $XXXX guaranteed commision/month they sent me a email saying I would not get commission this month and I said they had to. Then they responded we do not, we used the word "Shall" not "Will" pay in the contract. Really? can they do that?

Spring Hill, FL -

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Family Law Attorney - Winter Park, FL

They may have some other way out of it, you need to have an attorney review it, but shall and will mean the same thing, they are both mandatory, not discretionary.

Sponsored Listing
Jeffrey Lee Price

Jeffrey Lee Price

Contracts / Agreements Lawyer - Gainesville, FL

Bad excuse on their part. Tell them they need to come up with a better answer. "Shall" is a word of command denoting a mandatory meaning. They wrote the contract.

Alex Paul Rosenthal

Alex Paul Rosenthal

Business Attorney - Fort Lauderdale, FL

There is no genuine argument that can be made as to the meaning of the term "shall." If the contract has the terms you indicate, the employer's position appears to be incorrect. However, contract interpretation requires consideration of all terms which must be read together to give full meaning to the entire agreement. I would suggest you have the entire agreement reviewed by an attorney.

Raphael Samuel Moore

Raphael Samuel Moore

Business Attorney - Davis, CA

You really need to review the rest of the agreement to see if there are other reasons. Have you discussed it with them ? For us lawyers, "shall" and "will" mean exactly the same.