Employment Contract

Spring Hill, FL |

I have a 1 year contract with my employer and they used the word "Shall Pay $XXXX guaranteed commision/month they sent me a email saying I would not get commission this month and I said they had to. Then they responded we do not, we used the word "Shall" not "Will" pay in the contract. Really? can they do that?

They may have some other way out of it, you need to have an attorney review it, but shall and will mean the same thing, they are both mandatory, not discretionary.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

You really need to review the rest of the agreement to see if there are other reasons. Have you discussed it with them ? For us lawyers, "shall" and "will" mean exactly the same.

Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. If you want that advice from us, contact us at thelaw@mytrustedlawyer.com.

Bad excuse on their part. Tell them they need to come up with a better answer. "Shall" is a word of command denoting a mandatory meaning. They wrote the contract.

This is not legal advice. Think of this as what you would recieve from a wise uncle. And remember, you have never believed everything your uncle told you either. With free advice you generally get what you pay for.

There is no genuine argument that can be made as to the meaning of the term "shall." If the contract has the terms you indicate, the employer's position appears to be incorrect. However, contract interpretation requires consideration of all terms which must be read together to give full meaning to the entire agreement. I would suggest you have the entire agreement reviewed by an attorney.