Asked over 1 year ago - Linwood, PA

Marine Gulf War Veteran , spent 24 years at University of Penn Police, 4times Sgts, passed over for less qualified/less seniority/ The union called Penn Police Association paid the State Fop not to investigate my complaints. state returns letter thanking for generous contribution. ( I have a copy)after receiving over 43 commendations, suddenly , documented numerous attacks of humiliation, forced to drive police car with feces in it for two days, denied request to sons wedding, forced a roomful supervisors and threatened with discipline if i did not go to psych, after refusing a Lt. order to falsify a police accident report, discvrd my wife invlved w/ police Lt. who is married to a D/r. w/ Parkinsons disease in a wheel chair, political connections w/dept of labor /cannot findprotection

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I am a California attorney and cannot give legal advice in your state. My comments are information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT OFFER SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I mention your state’s laws, it only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state to learn your rights.

    Of course you realize that you have many, many potential issues going on at the same time: age discrimination, union democracy, graft, harassment, disability discrimination (the part of the law that protects people who are regarded as having a disability), whistleblower retaliation, family law/marital issues and others that I have mentioned. You need far more than a quick answer on Avvo can give you. You need to consult with one or more experienced employment law attorneys with whom you can discuss the details of your situation.

    You have so much going on that it may be hard to interest an attorney unless you do some prep work. Employment attorneys want certain information right up front: the name of the defendant, the name of the employee; if the employee was fired (or denied reasonable accommodation, or laid off, or whatever the issue is, in five words or less); the date this happened; the reason the employer gave for whatever happened; how long the employee worked for the defendant; what job the employee did; how much the employee made; and any deadline.

    Write out a chronology (timeline) of events. Each entry should be 3-7 lines long – it's an outline, so don't write all the details. Write a list of the names and organizations involved. Put the list in alphabetical order and next to each name, write the job title and why the person or organization is significant. Gather all your documents and organize them in chronological order. All this will probably take you at least a week. Remember most good attorneys are very busy and have their pick of which cases to accept. You want to interest them without making them work to find out why they should represent you.

    You can find a plaintiffs employment attorney on the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) web site www.nela.org. NELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the country for attorneys representing working people. You can search by location and practice area. Also, NELA has affiliates in every state and many cities which are listed on the NELA site. Not all NELA attorneys are named on the web site or affiliate site. This should not influence your selection; attorneys can choose whether or not to purchase a listing in the national directory, and each affiliate has its own rules for listing.

    I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

    twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,408 answers this week

3,284 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,408 answers this week

3,284 attorneys answering