Employment change after getting green card - possible issues

Chicago, IL |

I am a Green card holder . My I485 was approved on 07 / 03 / 2012 . My green card was processed through EB - 1 - C . I changed my Green Card sponsored employer and currently working for other employer ( same software field , but position slightly changed ) . My last working day with sponsored employer was 01 / 09 / 2013 . I was working for sponsored employer from September 2009 . I worked for sponsored employer until 01 / 09 / 2013 after getting green card . 1 . Will this affect my citizenship approval , hence i am working with sponsorship employer ? . 2 . Will this be questioned and my Green Card be revoked by any change at the time of citizenship interview ? 3 . Will this be questioned and my Green card be revoked at port of entry , when i go out of USA and come back ? Your help is much appreciated

Whether it will be trouble would depend on whether you acquired permanent residency through sponsoring employer without intention of working for the company once green card was approved.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Hi Sir - but i showed intent to work on sponsoring employer and worked more 6 months. Due to project ramp down, i did not get any openings. so i resigned myself. I have paystubs and w2 for 6 more months i worked for sponsoring employers. Is this sufficient enough to prove that i showed intention working and worked for sponsoring employer?

Tripti Sharad Sharma

Tripti Sharad Sharma

As I mentioned, as long as you can convince the IO that you had the bona fide intent to continue working for your sponsoring employer but for the circumstance, etc., you should be fine.

There does not appear from this set of facts, to be any basis to revoke your permanent resident status.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.