Employment application, see below

Asked about 3 years ago - Pinebrook, NJ

I live in NJ and was convicted of a felony for a drug sale over 20 years ago In NY state. I have worked for big companies in the past without any problems. I recall that there was a law, at least in NY state that an perspective employer could not ask about felony convictions that were more than ten years past on an employment application? I have noticed over the last several years that especially in the southern United states and now in the northeast that now they ask, "HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY" I thought this was a federal law designed to give people a chance to put the past behind them?
Now being out of work and most companies having an initial online screening process you can't seem to get past the first page of an application without answering this question, and I never even get a response when I do, Please HELP!

I was convicted of (B-3, CSCS), PS, Called Senator lautenberg's office yesterday to get clarification and was told by an aide that an employer can discriminate against anyone with a Felony criminal record?? The sentence was 2-6 years incarceration, Of which I served 2-1/3 years.

1. John P Rowland

Answered . There are more facts needed in order to answer your question. What section of the penal law were you convicted of? i.e., was it 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th degree criminal sale? What was your sentence? Sounds like you may need to seek an expungement of your records.

John P. Rowland, Esq.
    (609) 296-0001

Feel free to email me at
    john@jprowlandlaw.com