Employer refusing to provide me a proof of Professional Liability Insurance. What should I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Livonia, MI

I am in the health care practice. I work for an employer for past 5 years. Initially they said that I am covered with Professional Liability Insurance. Recently, I requested my Employer to provide me a proof of MY Professional Liability insurance in order to see how much I am covered for.But my employer refused stating that they do not provide a copy of proof of coverage to employees. Is this legal in Michigan for employer to refuse to show proof covering Employee?

1. Cristine Wasserman Rathe

Answered . Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question. I would suggest calling LARA. A link to their webpage is below.

2. James M. Osak

Answered . Well that's nice of your employer.
    It's either LOW coverage or a very
    small/unknown insurance company.
    They seem to be hiding something.
    (1) If you have a union then talk
    to your rep and/or file a grievance;
    (2) Look in your "Employer-Employee
    Handbook" for any insurance coverage
    information;
    (3) You might want an attorney to send
    management a "love" letter requesting
    this info;
    (4) Call LARA (Lansing, MI) Insurance
    Division and talk to them and/or file
    a complaint if acceptable.
    Good luck!

3. Norman Antonio Stiteler

Answered . Your employer may have you covered by a professional liability insurance policy which covers the employees at the practice; but you mightnot be named individually. I would suggest that if you are a medical professional, you might want to carry insurance seperate from your employer.

4. Alexander Marriott Fear

Answered . Generally health care organizations obtain umbrella policies which covers all their health care providers for services provided within the scope of their employment. When requested by outside entities, however, insurance companies will usually re-issue the certificate of insurance for the medical center and name the health care provided as an additional insured. (This is often required when health care providers moonlight at secondary facilities for which they must have their own insurance). While it would be highly unusual for a health care provider to permit their insurance to lapse, if your employer is being difficult, speak to the Medical Director to voice your concerns. You are not the only one in that boat and it is your Medical Director who should act as a liason between you and management to allay your concerns. Another route you can take is to contact an insurance agent. Advise the agent that you are interested in purchasing additional insurance but are not sure how much coverage you need. Provide them with the name and contact info for your human resources director and let them contact your employer. They may be able to get information that you were unable to obtain. Finally, in the event you have an employment contract, review its terms with regard to the malpractice insurance and any remedies you may have in the event the employer fails to provide you with documentation proving that it has complied with its obligations. If the employer continues to be difficult, consult an employer attorney because the medical center may be hiding something.