Employer lost my I797A.

Asked over 1 year ago - Cos Cob, CT

Currently I am on H1b status. My employeer gave me the original I94 that came with the I797A form however they kept the original I797A form and gave me a scan copy of it. I have recently decided to do H4 change of status. I asked my employer for original I797A and they came back to me saying that its misplaced. Application for change of status doesnt require original I797A however since it is lost do I have to inform USCIS and ask for a duplicate one or the copy will suffice? It take around 3-6 month to get the original copy. Will I need this original I797A after my H4 is approved? Will I need it to apply for greencard application which i will be applying through my spouse in future?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The original approval notice is a company document and they are to retain it. You cannot file for the duplicate. You are entitled to your original I-94 card.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . The I-797 is the property of the company, as is the H visa itself. Thus, they were correct in not giving it to you ... nor should they do so in the future, even if the didn't lose it.

    You don't need it to do a COS ... print out your scanned copy ... along with a copy of the I-94. ... that will be fine.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You file with the copy they gave you.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,448 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,448 answers this week

3,047 attorneys answering