Employer is asking me to contribute my money for GC, is this legal?

Asked 7 months ago - Jersey City, NJ

My employer is asking me to contribute money for GC processing. Which they agreed will b reimbursed once it is approved but will not be reimbursed if i decide to part the company during GC processing, is this legal?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

18

1

Answered . Your employer is legally required to pay all expenses incurred in filing a PERM application on your behalf. The fees for the rest of your case are negotiable between your employer and you.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . That's one smart employer in my opinion... It is partially "legal" and partially not. Namely, it is NOT legal for the employer to ask you to "contribute" money to the "PERM" labor certification process with DOL, usually the first step in the long and arduous "green card" application process. It is, however, "legal" for employer to ask you to contribute money to the ensuing I140 Immigrant visa petition to be filed with USCIS, in the aftermath of the PERM approval (you hope.)