Employer fighting unemployment after terminating employee after FMLA ran out.

Asked about 1 year ago - Frankfort, OH

My husband's FMLA ran out (had two major surgeries in 5 months) and he was terminated from his job of ten years. He is now released to go back to work but, of course, doesn't have a job. He was awarded Unemployment Compensation but the former employer has appealed twice (the appeal was denied the first time). What is the best way to counter their appeal of his unemployment benefits?

1. Lori Ann Strobl

2

Answered . From your description of the circumstances, it sounds as if your husband's employer has appealed and, at this time, a telephone hearing has been scheduled or will be scheduled. Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do to prevent the appeal from occurring, as that is the employer's right. However, I would suggest that you consult with a local attorney, familiar with unemployment hearings, to either retain the attorney to represent you at the hearing or, at the least, for a description of the proceedings and what to expect if your husband chooses to represent himself. I wish you luck.

Lori A. Strobl
    Strobl & Associates, Co. LPA
    1015 E. Centerville Station Rd.
    Centerville, Ohio 45459
    www.strobllaw.com
    (937) 496-1450
    www.strobllaw.com