Employer asking for OPT Extension card copy. My 12months OPT expires on Jan 31. Just today OPT Extension got approved.

Sheboygan, WI |

My Employer is asking for OPT Extension card photocopy but just today USCIS approved my application and said I will receive the card in next 30 days. Employer says, they will have to terminate me if I don't provide the extension card copy. Please help.

Perhaps they will rehire you when you get it in the mail. There is little you can do other than that, if the card has already been sent to you.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

2. Show them the approval, but the card will probably take up to two weeks to arrive in the mail.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: info@moralespllc.com (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500

3. I agree. The employer must have a document satisfying I-9 or they will be in trouble for hiring you.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

4. The employer needs to see the physical EAD (or a photocopy of same).

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

5. They will need to see the physical card. However, they cannot terminate you until the end of the 31st. Also, even though the approval notice says it will take 30 days, usually USCIS is actually sending work permits fairly quickly. I have sometimes seen them mailed the day of approval and received in a few days. I believe they are mailed from Kentucky.