Employer asking for OPT Extension card copy. My 12months OPT expires on Jan 31. Just today OPT Extension got approved.

Asked over 1 year ago - Sheboygan, WI

My Employer is asking for OPT Extension card photocopy but just today USCIS approved my application and said I will receive the card in next 30 days. Employer says, they will have to terminate me if I don't provide the extension card copy. Please help.

1. Stephen D. Berman

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Perhaps they will rehire you when you get it in the mail. There is little you can do other than that, if the card has already been sent to you.

2. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

2

1

Answered . Show them the approval, but the card will probably take up to two weeks to arrive in the mail.

3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

2

1

Answered . I agree. The employer must have a document satisfying I-9 or they will be in trouble for hiring you.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Answered . The employer needs to see the physical EAD (or a photocopy of same).

5. Kevin Michael Crabtree

Answered . They will need to see the physical card. However, they cannot terminate you until the end of the 31st. Also, even though the approval notice says it will take 30 days, usually USCIS is actually sending work permits fairly quickly. I have sometimes seen them mailed the day of approval and received in a few days. I believe they are mailed from Kentucky.