Skip to main content


Sacramento, CA |

Employer states if I disclosed any infomation regarding improper handling of customers documents I will be fired. Sensitive documents not be shredding but put in a public trash can.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You haven't really asked a question, so I'm going to generally describe what your rights might be if you were terminated. You may have rights as a whistleblower. In California, you are protected from retaliation for reporting activity you believe to be illegal even if you only report it internally (as opposed to reporting it to governmental authorities). However, you must have a good faith belief that the conduct you are reporting is illegal. It is not enough that the conduct simply violated an internal company policy. Even if you do not qualify as a whistleblower per se, you may still be able to state a claim for wrongful termination in violation of public policy if you can establish that the company's handling of customer documents is a fraud on those customers.

Since there really is not enough in your post to analyze your situation properly, I would suggest that you contact an employment lawyer to discuss your situation. Many of us offer a free initial consultation, and it sounds like you could use one.


You need to re-post to allow us to understand what you want to know. There is nothing wrong with an employer requiring an employee to retain as confidential what goes on in the workplace, with some important exceptions.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


An employer is free to restrict activity of an employee provided they are not requiring you to engage in illegal activity or violate public policy. Mishandling client information may not be illegal, so telling a client about the behavior may not give you whistle blower protection. As suggested you should consult an employment attorney who practices in your area. There are a number of us employment attorneys in the Sacramento area, go to the find an attorney tab for some help.
Best of luck.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer