Emotionally unstable ex wife keeps trying to contact me. Is there legal any issue with just ignoring ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

2+ year marriage ended in divorce in Jul 2011. No kids or real property involved to settle. I just wanted to get it over with and didnt want her to drag it long. So I did provide her financial compensation outside of court and in return was agreed an uncontested divorce.
Ex has lot of personality disorders, mood swings. After divorce I did try to convey that I do not want to maintain contact or any interaction and her reaction would of be severe resentments and some kind of threats. Its been scary. After 1 year of divorce I started to gradually ignore her and now I have moved state, changed phone # and have stopped responding. But she keeps emailing at times asking to contact her. I do not want respond to her. Can I just ignore them? Is there any legal obligation to respond to it?


Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Based on the facts provided you have no obligation to respond to her or have any contact with her.

  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You do not owe a duty to this woman, and considering her emotional problems, the prudent thing to do is to avoid her and have no contact.

    No lawyer-client relationship exists. This answer is intended for discussion purposes only. You must obtain legal... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Based on the facts you state, there is no problem with ignoring her and you have no legal obligation to respond.

    Good luck.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce and family

Divorce and family covers several issues that can come up during the course of a divorce, such as continuing spousal health insurance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,721 answers this week

3,714 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,721 answers this week

3,714 attorneys answering