Skip to main content

Emotional Distress

Paterson, NJ |

How do I sue for emotional distress/slander. I am a welfare recipient. My exes family has been harssing me continually making false claims to DYFS on me, false police reports claiming I'm out side their home when it's simply impossible. I had a public defender in these pending crimminal charges she place against me but there was a serious conflict of interest considering they know each other. She did not do a thing in my defense especially considering I had 66 calls from this woman in one evening. She illegally tried to kidnap my son and the minute I filed charges she went and filed false charges against me and made slanderous remarks about my parenting

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Have a local Peterson lawyer send a cease and desist letter.


Claims for damages against public entities in NJ require a filing of a Tort Claims notice within 90 days of the event. Make sure to file a claim, there is a guide on Avvo I did.
However, be aware that there are immunities for DYFS employees and your claim is going to be tough. find a local attorney to discuss.


Ask a local lawyer to draft and send a cease and desist letter on your behalf.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer