Emergency temporary custody and not returning my child to cp because of abuse in my child when cp is intoxicated.

Asked about 1 year ago - San Antonio, TX

My ex husband of 5 years is an alcoholic and has recently been taking his drunken rage out on my 8 year old daughter. She says she it's afraid of going back. I have kept a log off all the drunken mishaps he has had over the last 5 years but for the last 2 we have lived 1000 miles apart and when I talk to my child on the phone he is always listening. She is supposed to return to get dad January 5 but I have been having trouble getting attorneys to call me back bc of the holidays. If I'm not able to get the emergency custody before January 5 if I keep my daughter here can I be arrested? I live in Texas he lives in Colorado we were divorced in Texas.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jeffrey S Johnson


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Go meet with in attorney today. Most attorneys will give you a free or discounted consultation and if you call enough of them, you will be able to get in somewhere this afternoon. You need to find someone who will file an Emergency Ex Parte Application for Temporary Restraining Order tomorrow.

  2. Maria Sara Lowry

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Keep calling. Most lawyers should be open today. Leave messages.

    This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information... more
  3. Francis Michael McElroy

    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to consult with a competent family law attorney.

  4. Jacqueline R. Kriebel


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot withhold without a court order or you could face charges of contempt. This would require you to file either a protective order or a temporary restraining order and attach an affidavit explaining all the abuse and drunken episodes. You can also file a report with CPS to have them look into the situation in Colorado.

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Emotional abuse and child custody

Psychological or emotional abuse are considered types of child abuse. Child custody cases can be affected if either parent is accused of emotional abuse.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,222 answers this week

3,597 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,222 answers this week

3,597 attorneys answering