Eligibility for asylum based on parent's citizenship

Asked 9 months ago - New York, NY

I am applying for asylum in US, but one of my parents has dual citizenship, one from a country of persecution (which is also my country, and the other is from a third country). I do not have citizenship from the third country and do not want to acquire it. Do I still have a chance in asylum? Will my parent's second citizenship affect my eligibility. This question is in reference to Form I-589 Part C, 2B

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . Good quesiton to ask an attorney during in person consultation.

2. Mark Robert Barr

3

1

Answered . The issue is whether or not you would be considered "firmly resettled" in the third country prior to your arrival in the U.S. Let me ask you this:
    (1) prior to coming to the U.S., did you ever enter this third country?
    (2) if so, did you enter the third country with an offer of permanent resident status, citizenship, or some other type of permanent resettlement, or did you receive such an offer after you had entered the third country?

If you have never been in the third country, and no offer of permanent settlement was ever extended to you (meaning that you don't already have that status automatically), then I would say, no, you were never firmly resettled in that country and you should only have to demonstrate a fear of persecution in your home country.

But I would probably want to talk to you some more about the specific details.

Best of luck.

Mark
    Denver, CO

3. Alena Shautsova

Pro

1

1

Answered . It should not affect your application, but there might be details there that are not mentioned here. Asylum is not something that a person usually can handle by him/herself. It would be a good idea to have an attorney working with you.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . A more important question is: How can YOU prove that YOU have 'reasonable' fear of persecution based on your race, religion, political opinion and/or membership in a particular social group?

Just being from a country with problems isn't 'good enough'.

Go to a lawyer before filing potentially frivolous asylum papers.

5. Matthew Borowski

Answered . You must be subject to persecution in your country of citizenship, and that persecution must be on account of your race, religion, particular social group, nationality, or political belief. If you have citizenship from two countries, you could still be deported to the country in which you don't face persecution.