Electrical Outage in Rental Unit

Lincoln Park, MI |

I am renting a home. I have had electrical issues since moving in. Half of the power is off in my home. Landlord FINALLY after months of my asking to resolve problem, sent an electrician a few days ago. He said it was a temporary fix, but was able to get electricity back on momentarily. It is off again. This electrician confirmed that landlord was aware of this problem BEFORE I moved in and he had told her it needed to be fixed. Employee of DTE came to see if problem was from DTE. It was not. DTE told me that the panels were at least 70-90 years old and needed to be completely replaced with upgraded equipment or the problem would just continue. My question is: Am I able to withhold rent until this problem is taken care of? Thank you

1. I would want to review the situation, but offhand, I would say, YES, you are able to withhold rent in an escrow account, until this issue is resolved. This problem could easily prevent your quiet enjoyment of the premises.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

2. I would want to review the situation, but offhand, I would say, YES, you are able to withhold rent in an escrow account, until this issue is resolved. This problem could easily prevent your quiet enjoyment of the premises.

James Frederick