Electric Billing mistake. Company wants to charge me after account was closed. Can they do that?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Bismarck, ND

The electric company apparently hooked up the meters incorrectly in some new apts. that I moved into last year. I kept my electric bill paid and up to date every month and when I moved out of the apt. I closed my account. The electric company has recently contacted me and told me that they had the meters in the apts. hooked up incorrectly and I still owe them money because they weren't charging me enough. I have not lived in the apts. for over 3 months, nor had an account with the company since then. Is the company allowed to charge me for their mistake? They are threatening to send me to collections.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mark Hankins

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Because public utilities operate in the public interest on very tight profit margins, legislatures and courts are extremely fastidious about making sure they get paid what they are owed, and the history of underbiling disputes by public utilities is that they are almost always resolved in the utilities' favor. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,382 answers this week

3,227 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,382 answers this week

3,227 attorneys answering