Elder Law/My parents asssets/nursing home

Asked almost 2 years ago - Boston, MA

My parents own there home value $300,000....and have cash assets $200,000......My parents did not turn over the house to me or one of my siblings in the last five years......My dad now needs to go into a nursing home...........What is the best way to protect there assets and not end up giving all the house and money to the nursing home? to pay for his care and how can he get on medicaid?.....any help would be great

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 15

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . There are some limited ways of protecting some of the assets. First, as long as your mother is living in the home, it is not a countable asset. She is also allowed to keep $115,920 as her community spouse resource allowance (CSRA). The remaining funds in excess of the CSRA may also be partly protected, but it has to be done in the right way.

    Your mother needs to see an elder law attorney ASAP for a thorough review of her assets and whether the legal documents which they may have in place allow for asset protection planning or if the court may need to issue an order which would get all the assets into your mother's name. I've practiced elder law for 15 years in the Boston area, and would be pleased to assist.

    E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are... more
  2. 16

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You probably will not like this answer but the best thing for your parents to do is sit down with an experienced elder law/ estate planning attorney to discuss what options they have and what will work best for them. Medicaid or MassHealth generally has the right to be paid back for services rendered and may place liens on certain assets but there are ways to protect their assets as well. Have them consult an attorney to discuss in detail their options. Best of luck.

    Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. (It lets us know how we are doing.)... more
  3. 11

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Most of this property, if not all, can be kept aside so long as your mother isn't also receiving MassHealth-subsidized services herself, particularly long-term care. But as with your father, any gifting on her end will cause penalties if she comes to need such care in the next five years. You should really sit down to discuss this situation with an experienced local elder law attorney to engage in the proper planning on both ends. There are many subtleties to the beauracracy involved - and which are highlighted differently depending on the amount of money, care needs, and general health - that are really not possible to navigate effectively on their own. Most attorneys will offer a free consultation.

    Attorney Rosenberg is admitted to practice in Connecticut and Massachusetts, and currently practices in South-... more
  4. 11

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Medicaid planning is a very complex area of the law. If this is your first time dealing with it, you probably won't be able to figure it out. Most attorneys shy away from it. You need the help of an experienced elder law attorney to chart the right course. Attorney Golden is knowledgeable and has a good repiutation as an elder law attorney. Do yourself and your family a favor and take her up on her offer.

  5. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Notwithstanding all of the other attorneys' suggestions (which I'm sure is good advice), I have a suggestion if it comes to the point where you will need to spend down some of their $200,000 (i.e. after keeping your mother's share, etc.). I am 'pasting' my answer (below) to a question I answered several weeks ago, but it may be relevant in your case...

    Pasted Answer Begins:
    At this point, it may be too late to gift money to their children. You may want to consider, though, spending down his money now to save the family money later. Specifically, you can pre-pay his funeral costs now without any Medicaid/MassHealth penalty. Any funeral home will know how to proceed with establishing an irrevocable funeral trust. You would not need an attorney to do this. Also, he can open a savings account at any bank (called a burial/funeral savings account) with up to $1,500, which can be accessed after his death to pay (or reimburse those who paid) for his funeral or burial costs. Lastly, you may want to consider paying an attorney (now, before he spends down the money on nursing home costs) to assist with the Medicaid/MassHealth application process. The process (and application) can be a nightmare for loved ones because it is long, complex and extremely time-consuming. Once my clients realize how involved the Medicaid/MassHealth application process is, they generally opt to pay an attorney to represent them; particularly when the money would otherwise go to a nursing home. I had to deal with this issue personally when my father and grandmother had to be placed in a nursing home. I know how difficult it can be emotionally; and I'm glad my family and I took advantage of the three options outlined above. Best of luck to you and your family as you face this difficult road.

Related Topics

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now