Effect of FL DUI on Rhode Island driver's license

Providence, RI |

I was recently arrested for a DUI in FL. As a result of blowing a breath result of .16, FL is going to require that I have an ignition interlock device. Will Rhode Island require me to have this machine as well if I don't intend on returning to FL? If it is relevant, I have one prior DUI conviction other than this, approximately 15 years ago.

You will need to do what FL DMV requires to get a valid license there. If you do not comply with FL DMV than RI will not grant you a valid license.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at

I do not practice in FL, so I am not sure what the effect of not using the ignition interlock system will have on you in FL (i.e., whether it means you will not get a valid FL license reinstated or whether it would result in a probation violation), and while RI does have a relatively new ignition interlock system statute, I do not see how RI itself can impose this requirement on you, especially if you are not applying for a RI driver's license. What would happen if you do not have a valid FL license and are operating a vehicle in RI is that you would be charged with a misdemeanor for driving with a suspended/invalid license. Again, I would certainly check with a FL lawyer to see what impact your refusal to use the system would have on your conviction or your FL license. If you are thinking of applying for a RI license, it is possible that they may not give you one unless/until you have completed the conditions of the FL courts or DMV.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets