EEO Case and attorney fees.

Asked 7 months ago - Puyallup, WA

If I win my EEO case, then can I also recover my attorney fees, or will I have to share from what money I get for my pain and suffering as a result of workplace violence?

1. Saphronia R Young

2

Answered . You do not indicate if you are proceeding through the EEOC, or if you hired private counsel. If you hired private counsel, there are many different forms of attorney engagement agreements, and they can be extremely different in how the end result plays out. Some attorneys bear the entire cost of the litigation during the entire case, and will require you to assign all awards related to attorney fees back to them. Some attorneys require the client to bear all costs, but at the end of the day will take only 1/3 of the entire award or settlement, but first reimbursing the client for the costs paid. This question cannot be answered without review of your engagement agreement. If you have questions, you should ask your attorney and make sure you understand the deal before signing, if you haven't yet executed the agreement.

2. Jenna M Wolfe

1

Answered . Your potential for recovering attorneys fees depends on your particular claim. Your attorney should be able to answer this question for you, but you can always seek a second opinion if you are unclear about how your potential settlement money will be disbursed.

3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Answered . I am a California attorney and cannot give legal advice in your state. My comments are information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT OFFER SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I mention your state’s laws, it only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state to learn your rights.

Are you an employee of the federal government? I ask because federal agencies have EEO offices (Equal Employment Opportunity) while the private sector uses the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). If you are a federal government employee: The process for filing a discrimination complaint against the federal government is complicated and counter-intuitive. Because of its special characteristics, I have written a guide to help federal employees navigate the system. Please see my Avvo guide to the EEO complaint process for federal government employees: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/summary-of....

In either case, attorney's fees are an element of damages in a discrimination case. The distribution of any award or settlement is determined by your fee agreement with your attorney.

If you do not yet have an attorney, this is something to discuss before signing an agreement, and be sure the description in the agreement is clear before you sign. If you already have an attorney, read your fee agreement and talk to your attorney about it.

BTW in employment law, we use the term "emotional distress" instead of "pain and suffering," which is most often used for personal injury.