Educator creating website to explain financial concepts

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

As an educator I would like to create a website that explains various financial concepts. These concepts will mainly be about the stock market, mutual funds, etf's, and bonds. I though about including a text box on my homepage that makes it clear that this information is for general purposes only and will not be considered tax, accounting, financial or legal advice. That you should consult with a lawyer, accountant, or financial advisor prior to making any decisions. Will this be all that I need? I am not selling investment services on the site. I am just looking to educate the visitors on these topics.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Andrew Endicott Schrafel

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As prior posters have stated, whenever you start a new endeavor it is a good idea to make it a separate legal entity, so if someone does sue it, your personal assets are shielded.

  2. Andrew Mark Jaffe


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Disclaimers are always a good idea. Your business model sounds legal.

    However, there is much you need to know as you begin your new business. I suggest you do not attempt to write your own legal policies. This is not where your training and background lie, and though you are probably as smart as an attorney, you do not have their experience.

    Below is a checklist for legal issues I use for new e-commerce clients.

    1. Business entity - Are you going to be a C corp, an LLC or a sole proprietorship?
    2. Terms of Service - This is your contract with your visitors and is the most important item for any e-commerce site. A little work here brings big dividends in the future.
    3. Privacy Policy - Every e-commerce site needs a privacy policy!
    4. FTC guidlines - The FTC has been regulating business advertising for almost a century. All of their advertising guidlines apply to e-commerce sites.
    5. Domain Name issues? Is your name available. Can you create a Trademark?
    6. Trademark - Do you have a brand name free from conflict? Should you start with just common law rights? Should you register the mark, and when?
    7. Copyright - If it is on the web, it already belongs to somebody. Did you buy a license for the images you are using? Do you have a DMCA notice on your web site?
    8. Do you need a DMCA policy?
    9. Web Site security issues?
    10. Do you need and have an EIN? You can get that for free.
    11. Do you have employees? - If so you need written policies regarding their authority and use of the internet.
    12. Do you know the difference between a "browser wrap" and a "click wrap" and which do you need?

    When I discuss this list with clients other issues arise. Finally, I always discuss with my clients their need for good accounting services. An accountant's advice as you start up can save you many dollars in tax that you might not save if you wait to speak to an accountant until your first tax return is due.

    I hope this list will give you pause to think about those issues for which you might need to seek professional advice.

    You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consultation.
    Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

    This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to... more
  3. Frank A. Natoli


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . So long as you are not dispensing specific financial, legal or other professional advice this should not be a problem, but as my colleague pointed out there are of course many considerations.

    You will want to set up a proper entity, make certain to have all your web terms drafted properly, you will want to ensure you handled the trademark due diligence the right way among many other things (see Attorney Jaffe's list below).

    I suggest that you reach out to a lawyer in private and discuss your objectives in more detail. I will link you to some helpful general info below and most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

    Best regards,
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    New York, NY
    (see Disclaimer)

    The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the... more
  4. Christopher Patrick Ulrich

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Shielding yourself is an important step, and working with a qualified attorney to do this is critical. Do not assume that because you have a corporation through an online service that you are protected. A partial list of considerations could include representations on the website, whether you distinguish between yourself individually and the business in marketing and information posted, whether you individually own the domain name or make it an asset of the company, and more. As was pointed out previously, there are many factors to consider before taking a particular course of action.

  5. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Before starting a business consult with a lawyer and CPA.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more

Related Topics

E-commerce small business

E-commerce (short for “electronic commerce”) refers to business which is conducted using computer networks, most typically the Internet.

Gregory James Glaser

Start-Up Website Legal Documents

This quick guide will briefly identify some common documents utilized by new online start-ups: Terms of Use You post this document online to cover the terms on which your site users are... more

Sole proprietorship small business

A sole proprietorship is a business owned and operated by one person in which there is no legal distinction between the business and owner.

Marshall C Deason Jr.

Florida Business Entities

There are several ways that you can organize your business in Florida. No one type or organization is best for all businesses. You should consult with your lawyer to find the type of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,238 answers this week

2,590 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,238 answers this week

2,590 attorneys answering