EB2 India Primary applicant applying AOS for the first time. Spouse is on H4 dependent status can I file for I-765 (EAD) for her

Asked about 1 year ago - Peoria, IL

I have recently ported from EB3 to EB2 India. I-140 approved. My priority date is Jan 24, 2008. I will be filing I-485, Travel doc, EAD, AP etc. (for the first time) for me and my wife. I am working for my sponsor employer for 7 + years. My wife earned her MS degree here in US and is now on H4 status. Some where it said H4 is not eligible to file for EAD (I-765)? She is eager to begin her employment once she get her EAD. My question is: Is she eligible to apply for EAD as my dependent? Can I file for her I-765?

Thank you.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

9

1

Answered . You asked and answered your own question.

2. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

5

Answered . No, she is not eligible for employment while on an H4. The term "dependent" implies that she is not able to independently work, but that her ability to remain in the US is dependent upon your own visa and work status. Once your green card is approved, you can file a petition for her green card and then she will become eligible to work herself.

3. Stephen D. Berman

2

1

Answered . No, she cannot get an EAD based on being an H4. She can, however, get one based on being an applicant for adjustment of status.

4. Anu Gupta

Pro

2

Answered . Once you file for your and her 485, also file for her work permit/765.

5. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . Asked and answered.