Early Termination of Probation without going through probation officer?

Asked 4 months ago - Schenectady, NY

Currently serving 5 years probation for Class E Felony and my first offense. I am 2.5 years into my probation period. I am interested in filing a motion for early termination of probation but am unsure how to go about it.

I have been required to check in with my PO once a month. I've never violated any terms of my probation, have never failed a drug test, and am now having difficulty finding work due to background checks. I have a great employment opportunity out of state as well as support of family members in that state as well, which i am lacking in my current location.

I was just transferred to a new PO due to moving, and my new probation officer doesn't seem to want to assist me with this motion. Wondering if I can proceed on my own or if it is not possible to file this w/o him?

Class E felony is for Attempted Possession of Marijuana.

1. George Peter Conway

2

1

Answered . I suggest that you review New York Criminal Procedure Law 410.90.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . No Judge will grant you early release from probation without hearing the Probation Department's position.

3. Stephen Charles Cooper

Answered . You can file the motion without his consent, but the judge will likely turn it down if the PO is opposed.
    Perhaps you should consider filing a motion to move your probation to another state. Maybe with that motion the Court may terminate your probation.

4. Richard C. Southard

Pro

Answered . Without the probation department being on board, it's a waste of time. Why don't you let the new PO get to know you and how you've changed and revisit the issue in 6 months.