EAD renewal when L1/L2 visa extension is under process(Premimum processing)

Asked almost 2 years ago - Charlotte, NC

My husband L1 and my L2 extension has been filed under premium processing. We are exepecting some response by 15-20 th Jan. My L2 visa/EAD card will expire on 29th March 2013.
I have following queries.

1. Should I wait for l1/l2 visa extension approval and after that i should file EAD renewal?
2. Should i file EAD approval ASAP?

If our visa extension is under process and USCIS start processing my EAD renewal, will it impact in any sense?

3. If my visa extension gets rejected, can I request to return my fee which i submitted for EAD renewal?

4. Should I file EAD renewal online or papaer based?


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Robert Louis Brown


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Since it takes about 90 days for ead renewal at this time I would wait until approval or 90 days

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I know that it is too late. But, you should have filed the I-765 at the same time as your immigration lawyer filed the extension papers.

    You can't file for a new EAD without the approval ... thus, you must wait and take the chance that you will have to take a leave of absence from work if the new EAD doesn't arrive before the old one expires.

    With luck, it won't be a problem ... they usually take less than 90 days to process an EAD.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,304 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,304 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering