EAD renewal when L1/L2 visa extension is under process(Premimum processing)

Charlotte, NC |

My husband L1 and my L2 extension has been filed under premium processing. We are exepecting some response by 15-20 th Jan. My L2 visa/EAD card will expire on 29th March 2013.
I have following queries.

1. Should I wait for l1/l2 visa extension approval and after that i should file EAD renewal?
2. Should i file EAD approval ASAP?

If our visa extension is under process and USCIS start processing my EAD renewal, will it impact in any sense?

3. If my visa extension gets rejected, can I request to return my fee which i submitted for EAD renewal?

4. Should I file EAD renewal online or papaer based?

Since it takes about 90 days for ead renewal at this time I would wait until approval or 90 days

I know that it is too late. But, you should have filed the I-765 at the same time as your immigration lawyer filed the extension papers.

You can't file for a new EAD without the approval ... thus, you must wait and take the chance that you will have to take a leave of absence from work if the new EAD doesn't arrive before the old one expires.

With luck, it won't be a problem ... they usually take less than 90 days to process an EAD.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

I agree with my colleagues.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration