EAD renewal timeline for L1A/L2 premium processing

Mooresville, NC |

My spouse is on L1A visa & I am on L2. My spouse's employer has filed for L1& L2 extension in December 2011. They have filed for premium processing of L1/L2 and also my EAD renewal in January 2012. How long does it typically take for the EAD extension to arrive?

My EAD expires around end of February. Can I work while the EAD is being extended? When the EAD expires: Do I need to resign from my current job OR can I go on unpaid leave for the interim period?

1. 90 days

No, you cannot work while waiting for an extension. You can only work while physically having a valid EAD.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. The extension applications must be processed within 15 days. Your EAD application will take about 90 days. You can not work between EADs.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.