Skip to main content

E1 visa : Can I work to any employer

Washington, DC |
Filed under: Green cards Employment

I am currently in US with H1 B Visa. I am waiting for Green card for the last 6 years. Meanwhile I am getting so many offers from other companies. I do not have pending 485.

I can invest in US Business up to 250K.
I was wondering If I move from H1 B to E1, Can I work to any employer?

What will be my path to Green card/Citizenship.


Should I keep waiting for my Green card through my Employer (EB-3).

Attorney Answers 1

  1. You cannot work for just any employer in E-1 status. You can only work for the company that sponsored the E-1. If you leave your current employer you would have to start the permanent residence (PR) process again, so that's a big consideration. It is very difficult to get PR as a self-employed person, unless you have much more to invest, so do consider your options carefully with an immigration lawyer.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics