E.g "Can I sue my landlord for wrongful eviction?"

Asked over 1 year ago - Cleveland, OH

My landlord filed an eviction but before we went to court my things were sitting on the front lawn. several items were stolen out the home. is this legal?

1. Brandi Nicole Buchenau

3

Answered . You can sue for wrongful eviction. However, there are numerous things you need to consider before doing so. You need to consult a local landlord/tenant attorney to see if the case is worth pursuing.

2. Martin Dennis Koop

2

Answered . Depending on all the circumstances and facts - generally landlords in Ohio are not entitled to exercise self-help by putting you out before the court determines the eviction and set out date. A landlord tenant attorney will be able to confirm whether your circumstances reach this result and will be able to discuss whether you may be able to sue the landlord for wrongful eviction and what you might expect to receive as damages. The landlord would generally be entitled to bring his claims for damages against you also and your damages and his damages would likely be set off against one another. Depending on the net result, it may not be worth your time. Criminal violations such as theft of your property can be reported to the police, and police will likely take an incident report, however because the theft arises out of the landlord tenant relationship, many officers will view this as civil and many prosecutors are unlikely to prosecute it, in my experience.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

2

Answered . Report any criminal conduct to the police, actual or suspected

4. Cheryl Rivera Smith

Answered . Probably not.