DWI enhancement. I am wondering if my prior DWI can be used to enhance a recent one I got. I was revoked on my prior DWI . . .

Asked 4 months ago - Minneapolis, MN

. . . more than 10 years ago, but was convicted less than 10 years ago. Can they use it to enhance? Thank you for your help.

1. Ethan Patrick Meaney

Pro

9

Answered . Yes they can go by the conviction date or the revocation date. You should contact an experienced DWI attorney to assist. Good luck.

This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.
  2. Derek Anthony Patrin

Pro

6

Answered . A criminal DWI charge can be enhanced by a qualified prior impaired driving incident that occurred within ten years. A "qualified impaired driving incident" is defined as either a license revocation or a DWI/Test Refusal conviction. Each one is calculated according to the date it was imposed, NOT the date of the actual offense. In your situation, the State can use the criminal conviction to enhance the new charge. Seek experienced DWI representation in your area, which you can find on this website.

3. Samuel John Edmunds

Pro

6

Answered . Yes they probably can enhance. The conviction date is what matters.

4. Douglas Troy Kans

Pro

6

Answered . Yes...as long as your criminal conviction was within 10 years of the date of your current offense. To be clear, If you plead guilty to the DWI, then your conviction date would be the actual date you were sentenced for the DWI and not just the date you plead guilty. However, in most DWI cases, an individual is sentenced the day they plea. However, in some counties, the court may require a PSI and return for sentencing. In those cases, your conviction date would be the date you returned and were sentenced.

5. Maury Devereau Beaulier

4

Answered . Yes - the conviction date may be used. Yo must consult with counsel regarding available defenses

6. Tricia Dwyer

3

Answered . Conviction date is a key. See statutory definitions. Talk with your attorney and she/he will advise you on your personal issues. Tricia Dwyer Esq.

7. Elisha Rachel Rudolph

Pro

2

Answered . If your conviction was for misdemeanor DWI and it was less than ten years ago, the District Attorney's Office can charge your current misdemeanor DWI arrest as a felony. In addition, prior DWI's can be used to enhance sentences on current alcohol related offenses.