DWI but never told by cop I can remain silent. Is case beatable?

Asked over 1 year ago - La Habra, CA

If I'm stopped for driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI), can a police officer ask me questions without reading me my rights?

1. Edgar J. Reynoso

Pro

12

10

Best Answer

Answered . Sometimes. Whether a police officer has to read you your rights on a DUI or DWI stop depends on whether or not you are in police custody -- that is, whether you are subject to the restraints common to a formal arrest. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the police do not have to provide Miranda warnings during roadside questioning of a motorist detained pursuant to a traffic stop. Thus, roadside questioning about your drinking, drug-taking, or performance on field sobriety tests does not constitute "custodial interrogation." However, once you are arrested -- or restrained by the police in a manner consistent with arrest -- you must be read your Miranda rights.

2. Robert Laurens Driessen

9

Answered . First in California there is no such thing as a DWI; everything is a DUI but understand you can be under the influence of more than just alcohol. There are several cases on point that say you do not have Miranda rights for a road side investigation. Almost 99% of all DUI investigations take place prior to the individual being arrested and there is no requirement that you be informed of your Miranda rights. Once you are actually arrested this changes but by that point they typically never ask you any more questions. So to answer your question directly no that will not be a reason to get the case dismissed. However there may be many other issues with the stop and or investigation. Feel free to contact my office for a free consultation.
    Robert Driessen

3. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

9

Answered . A Miranda violation, if there was one (and typically, Miranda warnings are not required on a traffic/DUI stop) would result in suppression if your statement but wouldn't necessarily invalidate the entire case.

There may other legal or factual defenses an you should at least consult with an attorney. Don't miss the 10 day window to schedule a hearing with the DMV or your license will be automatically suspended.

4. Matthew Murillo

Pro

8

Answered . If you knew your rights before the officer started questioning you, why would you not use them and simply remain silent?

5. Alan James Brinkmeier

9

Answered . The protections of Miranda vs. Arizona do not cover your DUI stop

6. Michael James Kennedy

Pro

7

Answered . Virtually all DUIs are potentially beatable, if you have the properly trained and motivated attorney, and it has nothing to do with whether or not your Miranda rights were violated. The courts, originally conceived as an agency to protect people from overweening government but now generally part of the overweeners' agenda against individuals, have fashioned what I call the "drunk driving exception to Miranda," and they allow the fiction that you are not really in "custody" when the cops are grilling you about much of what is necessary to put a DUI case together. But that never becomes an issue if people follow the oft'trumpeted advice to never talk to the cops, NEVER.. People, however, just can't seem to keep their mouths shut and they supply an enormous amount of information the government needs to help their prosecution. However, an attorney with the proper understanding of the relevant forensic issues can put you in good stead, despite your big mouth. cases that are fought frequently can be won; those that are not fought axiomatically never can be won. http://www.kennedyforlaw.com