During the separation my husband has only given me a little money for the kids, but also has

Asked over 1 year ago - Burlington, NJ

also has been paying money toward our landlord, as part of an agreement we made early on. Since he's only paying a little toward the kids and I am paying the rest through my dwindling savings, could this set a bad precendent? In other words, woud a judge say that i don't need much child support because technically, so far we have made out fine without hubby having to give me much?

1. Yolanda Navarrete

1

Answered . He should be paying child support according to the guidelines. However, what he is giving you now does set a precedence.

2. David F Salvaggio

1

Answered . Your husband's payment of the rent, along with the $$ he is giving you, would not necessarily be a problem.

However, the total ought to be consistent with what his fair share should be. In addition, you state that he is "paying the rest through my dwindling savings." To the extent that the savings account is either in your name only or in the joint names of your husband and you, you may be shortchanging yourself and the children---especially if your husband is retaining his own savings and not using it.

I think that you need to meet with a good lawyer (whose practice is devoted exclusively to Family Law) and go over all of the details. It would be well worth whatever the meeting cost for you to get expert guidance.

3. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . You run the risk of a judge believing you don't require greater financial support if you don't go into court to get it. So you should consider doing so now.