Skip to main content

During the separation my husband has only given me a little money for the kids, but also has

Burlington, NJ |

also has been paying money toward our landlord, as part of an agreement we made early on. Since he's only paying a little toward the kids and I am paying the rest through my dwindling savings, could this set a bad precendent? In other words, woud a judge say that i don't need much child support because technically, so far we have made out fine without hubby having to give me much?

Attorney Answers 3


He should be paying child support according to the guidelines. However, what he is giving you now does set a precedence.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Your husband's payment of the rent, along with the $$ he is giving you, would not necessarily be a problem.

However, the total ought to be consistent with what his fair share should be. In addition, you state that he is "paying the rest through my dwindling savings." To the extent that the savings account is either in your name only or in the joint names of your husband and you, you may be shortchanging yourself and the children---especially if your husband is retaining his own savings and not using it.

I think that you need to meet with a good lawyer (whose practice is devoted exclusively to Family Law) and go over all of the details. It would be well worth whatever the meeting cost for you to get expert guidance.

DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You run the risk of a judge believing you don't require greater financial support if you don't go into court to get it. So you should consider doing so now.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics