During the length of time I am on this SIS probation is that charge considered a conviction until after the completing my time?

I am a recent college graduate and currently in the process of looking for a job. Last year, I received a possession of marijuana/paraphernalia charge, plead guilty, and was sentenced to an SIS probation until this coming November.

Fulton, MO -

Peter Todd Stevenson

Peter Todd Stevenson

Criminal Defense Attorney - Springfield, MO

Not a conviction, but until you complete the probation, it will likely show up on case net. If you were arrested, a record of the arrest will exist, and that will probably show up on a background check.

Andrea R. Rogers

Andrea R. Rogers

Criminal Defense Attorney - Saint Louis, MO

During the probation period, it's an open case. If you successfully complete probation, then the case is closed and there will be no conviction on your record. It will become a conviction if you violate probation and the judge revokes your probation and sentences you for the original charge. You can check with your probation officer about this, but in general, a violation of your probation would be any law enforcement contact related to drugs.

Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

Robert Edward Caldwell Jr.

Not considered a conviction at any point prior to completing probation.

Stuart L. O'Brien

Stuart L. O'Brien

A conviction only gets entered if your probation gets revoked. If you complete probation with no revocation no conviction EVER gets entered and the matter becomes a closed and confidential file. However, a record of the arrest will always exist.

Related Advice