During the green card interview, what is the main purpose of the questions asked?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

Do they use the answers to update the record or do they just use that to check against fraud?
If I said something by mistake that is different from the application, are they going to change the record to reflect that?

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . To determine whether the petition should be approved or denied.

2. David Nabow Soloway

Answered . Generally, an immigration interview may cover ALL aspects of an application and details relating to eligibility. In an interview for a marriage-based immigration application, for example, the examiner can be expected to go over nearly all of the questions/answers from the I-130 and I-485 forms and also address other issues that relate to eligibility for the benefits being sought. The examiner will review all of the documentary evidence of the bona fide nature of the marriage, and routinely will ask questions about how the couple met and other questions that may reveal whether the two spouses continue to live together.

Especially if you are aware of a mistake that you may have made in some immigration application -- even if it is not the application that is the subject of the interview -- it would be wise to engage an immigration attorney. That lawyer could review the details of the mistake, assess its relevance and advise about a strategy for addressing that mistake.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway, Poorak & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

3. Rebekah Bell Rodriguez

Answered . They will not necessarily "change" the record. If it was something that is okay to change, like your current address or employer, then they will reflect that. However, if it is something that could be viewed as a misrepresentation, you need to speak with an immigration attorney about what you said previously and what you said now, as this may be used to place fraud charges against you. Without more details, I cannot be more specific, but I definitely recommend you either add details and/or speak with an immigration attorney about this changed information.