During the green card interview, what is the main purpose of the questions asked?

San Francisco, CA |

Do they use the answers to update the record or do they just use that to check against fraud?
If I said something by mistake that is different from the application, are they going to change the record to reflect that?

1. They will not necessarily "change" the record. If it was something that is okay to change, like your current address or employer, then they will reflect that. However, if it is something that could be viewed as a misrepresentation, you need to speak with an immigration attorney about what you said previously and what you said now, as this may be used to place fraud charges against you. Without more details, I cannot be more specific, but I definitely recommend you either add details and/or speak with an immigration attorney about this changed information.

Avvo doesn't remunerate me for this response, and I'm only offering limited advice based on the few facts given me in your question. I am not your lawyer solely because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me or are interested in a low cost or free consultation, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. It's impossible to fully evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. Generally, an immigration interview may cover ALL aspects of an application and details relating to eligibility. In an interview for a marriage-based immigration application, for example, the examiner can be expected to go over nearly all of the questions/answers from the I-130 and I-485 forms and also address other issues that relate to eligibility for the benefits being sought. The examiner will review all of the documentary evidence of the bona fide nature of the marriage, and routinely will ask questions about how the couple met and other questions that may reveal whether the two spouses continue to live together.

Especially if you are aware of a mistake that you may have made in some immigration application -- even if it is not the application that is the subject of the interview -- it would be wise to engage an immigration attorney. That lawyer could review the details of the mistake, assess its relevance and advise about a strategy for addressing that mistake.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway, Poorak & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.] David N. Soloway Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. 1800 Century Place, Suite 100 Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com 404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

3. To determine whether the petition should be approved or denied.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Marriage and prenups topics