During my collaborative divorce, I am unhappy with my attorney. Can I change counsel and keep the process?

Chicago, IL |

I am not prepared for any team meetings. I do not feel my attorney works well with me.
Can I change midway through? If so, what are the ramifications? At this point
I am not sure what he is doing for me, except continuously stating he is neutral. I am not
prepared, while my ex husband appears prepped for all meetings. help

You can always change attorneys. If you hire an experienced attorney, s/he should be able to come in without too much disruption t your case. Find a lawyer in whom you have more confidence. Make sure your new lawyer is trained in collaborative divorce or if you are also unhappy with the collaborative process, you can insist that your case proceed in the more traditional manner. Many attorneys are not fond of the collaborative process except in very distinct circumstances.

My attorney is always "neutral". therefore I am not made aware of any type of strategy or what would be in my best interest. he seems like merely a meeting holder who charges an arm and leg. when I ask him questions he is defensive and not helpful. I am also being bullied by my ex husband who has a very good attorney who appears to keep him in the loop. I had to have the financial neutral explain that the next big meerting would be a waste of time unless I had a definante idea on housing, which I do not. if I would just with my attorney I would be milked for all these meetings wehre we spin our wheels.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Your does not sound like an appropriate case for a collaborative divorce. Perhaps a consultation with one or more family practitioners for a second opinion might be helpful to you. You are always free to change lawyers.

Barry Cahn Boykin

Barry Cahn Boykin

I'm just seeing your comment. It's unfortunate that your attorney is not more helpful to the process and if your husband is using the process to gain unfair advantage, it is not really "collaborative"

Barry Cahn Boykin

Barry Cahn Boykin

Rather than meet with your lawyer, send him a letter! Then the 15 minute charge for reading a letter will cost less than an hour meeting. Be open and honest about your goals and expectations (but keep it brief). Ask him to respond in writing, hopefully that will be brief and to the point as well.

Michael R. Stetler

Michael R. Stetler

Your lawyer is not a neutral in the process, even in a collaborative process, as far as I know. I agree with the other attorneys that if you feel like you are being bullied, then the collaborative process is not working.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

I was trained in collaborative law about 10 years ago. It has value in only limited circumstances where the parties are on equal emotional basis and do not wish their private information litigated. It can also become expensive when delegating out various aspects of the work to additional, often double sets of professionals. I have seen cases where one party pushes the other into collaboration. This is not the purpose of a collaborative divorce and no attorney is supposed to refrain from advocating for their client. It is a difficult concept for litigators to wrap their minds around and takes a complete change of attitude. Unless trained, I really don't see how an attorney can simply change hats and work in the collaborative process.

Atty. Goldstein has given an excellent answer. I only add that it would be wise to meet with your current attorney and explain your feelings. A collaborative process is an effort to achieve a win win outcome.
All parties should be working together toward that result with hopefully no hidden agenda or unfair advantage.

The information provided here should not be construed to be formal legal advice. The provision of this general advice does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Persons with legal questions are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I read the comments to Judy's answer and had to chuckle (no offense): you say you're being bullied in a collaborative process. There's nothing funny about the bullying, and nothing funny about divorce -- you're probably looking at some of the biggest decision you'll make in your life. I think you'll agree, however, that the irony of a bullying collaborator is pretty significant.

You can always (ALWAYS) change attorneys.

Judy's right: your case really isn't cut out for to collaborative process -- that, or it's being handled very, very poorly.

Talk with a few attorneys by phone. Most offer free consultations.
Wes Cowell
312-987-9999

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Please see my last comment above.

I am not a big believer in collaborative divorce. It can be used successfully in very few cases with multiple issues that are all very interrelated. I suggest you consider hiring new counsel .

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Agreed. Also, based upon the description it seems that the asker's attorney may not be trained in the collaborative process.