During a traffic stop or any discussion with a police officer, if I request, must they take off their sunglasses?

Medford, WI |

Scenarios such as a bike cop at an event or just being questioned by police at any time. I think that if they ask us to take our glasses off we have to comply, but I'm not sure about the other way around.

No. The glasses are actually safety equipment. It is best to be polite you do not have to answer question and may invoke your right to remain silent. But you do have to provide your drivers license if driving, and are required to comply with lawful commands of a police officer. You have a right to ask if you are under arrest and if you can leave.

This is not intended as legal advice. It is only provided for educational purposes and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Further no attorney client relationship is or has been formed by answering this question.

Why on earth would they be required to follow your instructions?

This came up as a topic of conversation among some ladies who felt they were being ogled by cops during an event. They weren't looking to be uncooperative or anything like that, just trying to ease that creepy feeling. So to answer your question... why on earth... the same reason bicycles have to have bells on them in Green Bay... someone somewhere made a law.

No.

Cannot imagine why you would do this unless you are hoping to aggravate the officer, draw attention to yourself, and increase your chances for arrest or citation.

The response I have provided is general in nature, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. My practice is based in Rhode Island, and the law and practice in other states or jurisdictions may be different.

This came up as a topic of conversation among some ladies who felt they were being ogled by cops during an event. They weren't looking to be uncooperative or anything like that, just trying to ease that creepy feeling.

Thomas G. Briody

Thomas G. Briody

I understand. Despite the bad behavior of some officers, I am afraid it is not a good idea.

No.

This answer is for informational purposes only. By answering this question, no attorney/client relationship is created. Although the legal information is accurate, it may not be appropriate for your situation. The best way to handle any legal problem is to seek the advice of an attorney.

No, do yourself a favor and don't ask.