During divorce wife spent community funds on travel. Are these funds gone forever?

Ventura, CA |

My wife was in control of finances. I filed for divorce after years of financial,emotionanal,verbal abuse. She went on spending spree wasting over 200,000 of community funds on herself with travel,vacations,ect. Before and after date of separation. Are these funds gone forever? Can I sell community property to offset what she owes me in reinbursements? approx. 125,000 I feel I will never see this money and she will get away with dissipation. what should I do?

If she spent community money after the date of separation, then you may be awarded community assets enough to equalize her use of that money. Before date of separation, it's considered spendign community money on community expenses.

I agree with Attorney Gould-Saltman. Seeking equalization for the funds that were spent after the date of separation is your best move. Since a significant amount of money is at issue, you should consider hiring a local family law attorney for representation. If you are unsure about what to do at this stage of the proceedings, you should hire an attorney. You should present a case to the court with a trial brief and exhibits, etc.

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I will not appear in court simply by posting on this site. If you would like me to represent you, you must call my office, sign a written fee agreement and pay a legal fee, assuming I do not have a conflict of interest and you are in Southern California. If I respond to your question and you have follow up questions by posting on this site, I may or may not reply. This information should not be construed as legal advice. I am offering my opinion. Each person's case is unique, and that's why you should contact a lawyer over the phone for a consultation for your situation. That's why you should not rely on any response that an attorney posts on this site. I am licensed in California. I am not licensed in another state or country. I do not practice law outside of California.

Your wife has fiduciary duties to you until divorced, and they are ratcheted up by standard restraining orders once a divorce proceeding is filed. I believe that you will need to show how the expenditures were in breach of fiduciary duty and/or purely separate in nature and/or how the expenditures during the litigation violated restraining orders.

Recommended articles about Divorce