DUII test results variation

Burns, OR |

I was arrested for duii and submitted to breath tests with the intoxilyzer 8000. They took two samples. First was 0.209 second was .179. This seems like a big difference for tests only 3 minutes apart. Do I have anything here?

In my opinion, no. The Intoxilizer 8000 always takes two samples. The reason it does so is to account for the possible variances in breath moisture, force, etc. A 0.03 difference between blows is somewhat unusual, but either way you were way over the .08 limit at the time of the blow, and it's going to be difficult for your defense attorney to argue that your BAC rose .12 % or more between the time of driving and the time of the blow.

That said, I would recommend that you listen to Mr. Oberdorfer and hire a DUII defense attorney immediately. There may be other aspects of your case that could lead to a strong defense.

This post is offered as general information and is not intended as legal advice. This information does not in of itself create any attorney-client relationship.

2. Three minutes is not enough for that type of decrease. Your attorney can subpoena the records on that machine.

Sincerely,

Attorney Mitchell S. Sexner
    Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC /o
    Defending your rights since 1990
    1 (800) 996 -4824
    Email: : msslawoffices@sbcglobal.net
    Website: Criminal and Traffic Attorneys

Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O

3. You could try attacking the accuracy of the machine. It is unusual that two samples were taken.

Please understand that answering this doesn't create an attorney/client relationship between us, and as hard as I try to answer your question well, it isn't legal advice. No matter how much information you put into a question, the answers you are going to get are still going to be vague. It is in your interest to contact a lawyer, most of whom will do a free consultation. Even 15 minutes with a lawyer is going to produce a more specific answer to your problem.

4. It's not unusual for two samples -- that's the norm here in Oregon with the Intoxilyzer 8000. Bottom line is: any good DUII lawyer will now how to defend this case with those blows, and you need one -- NOW. Set up an office conference with any good local DUII lawyer who knows the courts, the cops, and the law.

DUI topics