Skip to main content

DUI in CA in 2002

Sunnyvale, CA |

Been 8 years, have completed the mandatory course back in 2002, violation in 2002, but moved away to overseas until lately moved back, and sent in the Certificate of Completion, which I only found in one of my old belongings boxes. Found out license is still on suspended status, and cannot apply for another drivers license in another state until the suspension is removed. How to go about ? Thanks

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Assuming the DMV accepted the completion certificate, you will still need an SR-22 in order to get California DMV to lift the suspension. Once the suspension is lifted, it should be easier to get a license in another state.

    DMV used to require the driver to turn in the DUI School proof of completion. Due to internal DMV fraud, they changed the requirement and now have the schools send in the proof of completion. You might need to go back to the School to get some help with this if DMV does not accept the completion certificate you send them.

    If you have not done so already, you may want to contact the mandatory actions unit of DMV in Sacramento and see what they are still requiring for you to get the license back.

  2. I agree with Mr. Bortel. Regarding the Mandatory Actions Unit, their information is included below.

    Mandatory Actions Unit at (916) 657-6525 or write to them at:

    Department of Motor Vehicles
    Mandatory Actions Unit, Mail Station J233
    P. O. Box 942890
    Sacramento, CA 94290-0001

    Best wishes,

    Jason Beahm
    Beahm Law

DUI topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics