DUI fines were due March 2013,but I was unable to pay. Is jail my only option?Can I change it to house arrest/community service?

San Pablo, CA |

I completed the AA class and paid my public defender, but was laid off before I could pay off the DUI fine.

DUI from Solano County, CA

1. You might be able to make that switch. However, you should contact an attorney in your area and see what other options are available. Many of the attorneys here on Avvo provide a free consultation.

2. Possibly. I suggest getting your case on calendar ASAP and explaining your situation to the judge. The public defender might be able to help. Don't delay - the longer you wait, the less likely the judge is to be agreeable. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

3. Perhaps you can go back to the public defender and see if they can assist you in your matter. They can put your matter on calendar and ask for the alternatives.