DUI fines were due March 2013,but I was unable to pay. Is jail my only option?Can I change it to house arrest/community service?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Pablo, CA

I completed the AA class and paid my public defender, but was laid off before I could pay off the DUI fine.

DUI from Solano County, CA

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jasen Bodie Nielsen


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Possibly. I suggest getting your case on calendar ASAP and explaining your situation to the judge. The public defender might be able to help. Don't delay - the longer you wait, the less likely the judge is to be agreeable. Good luck.

    Jasen Nielsen

  2. Sholeh Iravantchi

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Perhaps you can go back to the public defender and see if they can assist you in your matter. They can put your matter on calendar and ask for the alternatives.

  3. Dan Eugene Chambers

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You might be able to make that switch. However, you should contact an attorney in your area and see what other options are available. Many of the attorneys here on Avvo provide a free consultation.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Criminal fines for DUI

If you are convicted for DUI, there are a number of different fines that the state can impose on you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,331 answers this week

3,579 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,331 answers this week

3,579 attorneys answering