DUI filling a Green Card???

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I was charge with DUI back in 2008 while i am still in F1 status. I completed all my charges which consits of sherrif work program and alcohol anonymous and also my alcohol probation. I was granted asylum last year in 2011. Now i am eligible for filling my i485 . Can anybody please tell me what are the document i need to file with my i485 fourm. When i am going through its insturctons its ask me for my crimnal report ...is that the docket report from the court ?

1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

13

Answered . A successfully completed misdemeanor DUI is not a preventive factor to your case. You may request your official court disposition of your court case at the court's clerk of the jurisdiction where you case was heard.
    Naturally, any federal submissions you prepare must be carefully reviewed by a licensed immigration attorney, in my opinion.

2. Rebecca T White

10

Answered . You will need to obtain a certified court docket. You may also really want to consider having an attorney review your filing prior to filing for adjustment. You should have your criminal record and immigration history available prior to a consultation.

3. Andre R. Olivie

8

Answered . One DUI will not prevent you from obtaining lawful permanent residence. I am hopoing that you disclosed the DUI during your Asylum interview. If not than that is an issue that needs to be addressed. Any time one has a criminal record its best to have it reviewed by an attorney before filing, just to be sure it won't cause any problems, or to be prepared if it does.

Andre Olivie, Esq.
    Seattle Immigration Lawyer
    206-724-1940
    www.olivielaw.com

4. Luis Alberto Guerra

9

Answered . The DUI will not make you inadmissible to obtain a green card. However, you must be diligent obtaining your conviction records. I suggest that you retain an experienced immigration attorney.

5. Gregory David Spink

9

Answered . You need complete certified documents from the County of your DUI. You'll need FBI Criminal Background check. Also you may need information about entry and reentry into the United States.

A DUI conviction is not end all be all but it will depend on the facts of the conviction, find an experienced immigration attorney.