Skip to main content

DUI deferred prosecution entering Canada

Olympia, WA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I entered into a deferred prosecution for a DUI back in Dec. 2005. I completed my treatment and have had no other issues. I understand that i'm on probation until 2010 then my charge will be dismissed with law abiding behavior. I was planning on taking a train trip to Canada. What are the chances of me being denied entry. (Using a US passport for entry)

Attorney Answers 1


The border agent has the ultimate discretion to say who can and can't get in. In your case, any DUI within the last 5 years can keep you out. You must have a certificate of rehabilitation obtained from a Canadian Embassy inside the US or a temporary residence permit. The latter is easier to get. There are many excellent immigration attorneys in Seattle or you can try your luck with the Embassy or Consulate itself.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics