DUI conviction, ordered to surrender tags but I have no vehicles registered under my name. What to do?

Athens, GA |

2nd DUI in 5 years. Was told to surrender all tags under my name but the car I drive is owned by my mother. Do I surrender the tag to the car I drive though it is not under my name? How does this affect my ability to attain a limited permit? In the process of getting an interlock device installed. Already completed DUI classes and evaluation and in a treatment program now.

You only would be required to surrender tags in your name, so don't worry about it.

I agree with Ben, however you may need to have your sentence amended to surrender plates in your name.

I agree with the other responses by my collegues.

You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to evaluate your options.

You only have t surrender the tags to vehicles in your name. Let your probation officer know you do not have any vehicles registered in your name.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.