DUI community service

Chicago, IL |

im sure ill get community service for my DUI case. do u have to pay for community serivice? and is the court leniant on where u can serve you comm serivice? due to lack of driving privelages im hopining its close to home. im in cook county

1. In Cook County, you would likely be ordered to participate in SWAP - Sheriff’s Work Alternative Program. The SWAP Program is made up of non-violent offenders charged with DUI and other misdemeanor crimes who “swap” jail time for a community service sentence. Under the supervision of specially trained sheriff’s deputies, the crews work throughout the county on a variety of public works projects such as cleaning parks, viaducts and streets. There is a charge for the program. You can look up more about the program at the Cook County Sheriff's website: www.cookcountysheriff.org.

Please note that this is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The post is only an opinion. You should speak to an attorney for further information. The poster is licensed only in Illinois.

Visit our website at www.msclawfirm.com for more information about our law firm and services. If you found this post useful, please remember to vote it up. Thank you.

2. It depends on the type of community service. If you are required to participate in the Sheriff's Work Alternative Program, also called SWAP, you do have to pay fees. Other community service can be performed at any not-for-profit organization.

I hope that my response was helpful and informative. However, my answer should not be considered or relied upon as a legal opinion, and no attorney-client relationship has been established. If you are interested in retaining an attorney for your matter, please contact me to discuss your situation further at www.MacNeilFirm.com

3. Community Service will be imposed (by law) on DUIs where the BAC level is at or exceeds .16. However it can also be imposed for other reasons such as an aggravating circumstance or as a condition of a 2nd or subsequent DUI offender's sentence. In Cook County, community service is regulated by Social Services (generally charitable or non-for-profits) or through SWAP (Sheriff's Work Alternative Program). There are some costs associated with these programs - but they can be lowered or waived at the Court's discretion. www.davislascola.com