Dui charges not filed?

Asked about 1 year ago - Augusta, GA

I was arrested for dui about two weeks ago and still haven't received a court summons. On my citation it says my court date is October 8th. What up with this? Could the charges not be filed yet?

1. Noah Howard Pines

Pro

9

Answered . The citation is the charging document.
    Hopefully you submitted your request for an administrative hearing by now (assuming you either refused the test or your results were over a .08).

2. Brandon Michael Rosenbloom

Pro

8

Answered . That is your court summons. That will be your first appearance or arraignment in front of a judge. You will have the right to have an attorney there to speak to the prosecutor to find out what you are being charged with and what the prosecutor is offering to plea. You'll have the ability to ask for a trial, additional time to speak to an attorney or to plea.

Definitely speak to an attorney in your area before that date to get advice on how to proceed.

3. Zachary Walter Procter

Pro

7

Answered . Your citation is your court summons. You need to appear on October 8 or they will issue a warrant for your arrest. You really should hire a lawyer right away to help you through this.

4. Elmer H. Young III

7

Answered . Note that you citation has a heading that includes the language, "Accusation and Summons". You indicate that you are from the Augusta area, but there are several different court open there. Some prosecute on the citation alone, while others, like the State Court of Richmond County bring formal accusations on all misdemeanor cases. If you have a date on the citation, you should appear on that date, but hopefully not before you have sought the advice of a local attorney familiar with the specific court and persons employed there. Good Luck!

5. Kevin Aaron Chastine

Pro

6

Answered . Sounds like that's your court date, if it's written on your citation. You can call the clerk of court to verify if you're not sure.

6. Jeffrey Dean Anderson

5

Answered . This is not unusual at all. Is there a blood test involved? Just make sure to call the clerk to see if you have to show up on the 8th. And, as per usual, hire a good attorney.

7. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

5

Answered . It usually takes the prosecutor's office several weeks to file an accusation, or even for the tickets to get booked into the court. I would still go to court on the 8th.