Skip to main content

DUI case can I visit my home country

Burlington, NC |

My DUI case is in progress and final date is within first week of May, I am planning to visit my home country because my of my parents health and will be out of the country for 3 weeks.

Will there be any problem at port of entry while entering back to US. What all steps can I take in order to get through this. I have valid visa till Sep 2013

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes, it surely can be a huge problem depending on the charges. Check with your immigration attorney.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


Much depends on what happens at the hearing in May.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104



Will it be better if I leave and come back before my final court date


Yes, it could be a problem.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I am not an immigration attorney, so I can only speak about similar situations that occurred with past clients. One was a U.S. citizen with a pending DWI in North Carolina. He had been released on a written promise to appear in court. He traveled out of the country for a wedding and he had no problems at all leaving and re-entering the U.S. I also have represented citizen of the U.K. for DWI. He was able to travel back to England while his DWI was pending in Union County N.C. He had no problems whatsoever traveling to and from England. I believe he was here on a workers visa but am not sure of the particulars. Talk to your attorney about this issue and it may not be a bad idea to contact an immigration attorney just to be on the safe side. I am more than willing to speak to your attorney in Burlington about this issue. Feel free to pass my contact information along to your attorney. Good luck.


it may present a significant issue for you. You should resolve the pending DUI. consult with an immigration attorney before and after the DUI decision and before you depart the US.


Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer