DUI Arrest but no court case & VISA stamping (Immigration)

Asked about 1 year ago - Portland, OR

Please help me here,

I got arrested in December 2012 for 1st DUI & Reckless driving, Police took breath analyzer test and got BAC 0.12. They took my finger-print and gave me court arraignment date few days after arrest, when i appeared in court, court official said no record or paper work for me. Till date I didn't hear anything from them. Police officer told me that he'll write good report of me.

My Car Tyre got flat and police pulled me over that night, No accident no injury. I requested "Court report" & "Police report", court record says no record found and Police report stats my two charges.

I'm planning to go out of country in coming months and need to do my H1B VISA stamping done, will VISA stamping be a problem as I have only arrest record but no conviction or pending court cas

1. Richard E Oberdorfer

Pro

16

Answered . Do NOT call the court, do NOT call the DA's office. Get into a good DUII defense lawyer's office, NOW. I've had clients "revive" a lost case by contacting the goverernment. DUII, with a .12 breath test, is a serious deal.

2. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

13

1

Answered . You still must answer all questions truthfully when applying for your visa. When you acknowledge that you have been arrested the Consul will request to see the documentation regarding the outcome.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

10

1

Best Answer

Answered . Before you leave the U.S. contact the Court of the Criminal Court where the DUI case was adjudicated, according to you, and obtain a final Criminal case disposition then show that record to a practicing immigration assessment for further review whether anything needs to be done at present.

4. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

12

1

Answered . It is very possible that the state did not file charges against you. It is also possible that your case was lost. I strongly suggest you have this looked into by an experienced criminal attorney before you leave the country as you may be denied the visa stamp or be denied admission into the USA.
    As your case is now you must answer, "yes," to the question; Have you ever been arrested. When you answer, "yes," there will be additional questions and you need to know how to answer them. You may be required to produce a certified copy of the final dissolution of the case. This could be a certified letter from the state that charges were not filed against you.

5. Andrew M Kohlmetz

Pro

6

Answered . I agree that you should not call the court or the district attorney. Call a good DUII lawyer. The charge can revive anytime within the statute of limitations of two years. One year after the arrest you may also qualify for expunction of the arrest record, but again you must discuss this first with a lawyer!