Skip to main content

DUI and Child endangerment charges, Got pulled over after takening Ambain and had my childern in the car.

Cambridge, MN |

Took Ambain that was RX to me, I have health isssues, major knee issues, and depression. Got pulled over with kids in the van. I didn't intend to cause harm to my children or others. I have only small bits and pieces of memory, vaugley remember taking an Ambien and thinking I would make it home. I was later told I lost my ballance and did a face plant during fields sobriety. I was brought to ER by ambulance where I apparenlty conscented to a blood draw. Children were not harmed. Never been in trouble with the law. We spoke to a couple Lawyers, I don't work but husband works. Can make payments but are unable to come up with the retainer fees they want. Husband primary job makes 58,000 year and then works part time after that about 25,000 year. Will I qualify for a public deffender?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Most likely you will not qualify, but you can certainly still full out an application to find out. My advice would be to keep calling around to attorneys to see if anyone fits your financial capabilities.

  2. Just reading your brief explanation of your situation, you may have a few potential legal issues in your case. Therefore, I would strongly recommend you contact and sit down with a DWI lawyer as soon as possible. With regard to expense, if you call around and talk to enough lawyers, you may find one that you feel comfortable with that may be able to take payments or work with you. As I stated in a previous answer, there are also discount legal services that are affiliated with a few county bar associations that may be able to represent you at a discounted price.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but instead need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights

  3. Hello. I am sorry to learn of your many health issues and urgent nature legal problem. I urge you to seek private attorney counsel immediately as you face serious legal issues now. Since finances are an issue for you, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee to you based on your need. You certainly can complete the application form for a public defender and a judge will decide that matter: I caution you to be sure you reveal your family finances fully and without omission to the court. All the best to you and your family.

    Tricia Dwyer, Esq., Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Welfare Law, Rule 114 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666. See

  4. Ambien has caused many people like you to be in these situations with the law when you never had the intention of committing a crime. It looks like you will not qualify for the public defender, but keep in mind that there are high quality attorneys who can work with you on a payment plan or accept credit cards. You DO have defenses to your case that are worth fighting, so do NOT give up. Also beware of hiring a defense attorney who charges a very low rate, as they typically will not be able to devote the necessary time it takes to present a quality defense. Also, you will want someone who devotes their practice to DWI defense since your case has issues that are not commonplace.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics