Skip to main content


California |

My girlfriend lives in Canada and I live in the States. I got my first DUI a few months ago and I was wondering if I can cross the boarder to see her.

Attorney Answers 3


Not for at least 5 years.

Mark as helpful


Canada has perhaps the most stringent rules about crossing its border with a pending DUI or a conviction for DUI. Frankly, the best advice I can give you is to consult with an immigration lawyer rather than a DUI lawyer. I have had clients who needed to go to and from Canada for business and have been denied entry simply because they have a DUI pending in the United States. Might be best to have your girlfriend visit you here until you can seek the advice of a qualified immigration attorney, perhaps one who practices either in Canada or in the U.S. near the Canadian border.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


My legal guide, Traveling to Canada and DUI will answer your questions. See the link below. You may need the assistance of a Canadian immigration lawyer.

Mark as helpful

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics